Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Favorite Songs

Yay for being out of hiatus! I haven't written since back in May when I went to go see DVICIO and I really miss posting on here. I have not had the chance to go to a concert (huge bummer) but I still want to write. I've decided I'm going to post about my favorite songs, or songs that give me all the feels. I'm also completely procrastinating studying right now because I'm way too inspired to take notes over the cultural history of the media (brb falling asleep just thinking about it). Naturally, it's time for a brain break! 

There are a lot of songs I am a huge fan of, but not all of them will make it on to this list. I have yet to decide if I want to add or take away at any given point but as of right now, on September 14, 2016, these songs are the ones I could listen to on repeat and never get tired of.

1. Incomplete - James Bay 
Okay let me start off my saying James Bay is my favorite solo artist and there will be at least one other song by him on this list. Also, his album "Chaos and the Calm" is my favorite album of 2015/most of 2016 so no surprise there. This song gives me all the feels. Seriously, wow. The way it's written, the transitions throughout the song are incredibly smooth, his voice is so soothing and I don't know what it is about him but he just always knows how to just get me in the right place. His harmonies are subtle and beautiful. I also really love that there is a very easy transition you can take with this song by playing it on an acoustic guitar. It's the kind of song that sounds beautiful both with all the instruments and by just using one. 

2. Hold Back the River - James Bay 
Oh lookie here, James Bay again! This song holds so much meaning. Both as how he intended to write it and to myself. Throughout the past month and a half it has just increased in significance for me. Recently, a family member of mine passed away and along with this event, this song has really opened my eyes to enjoying the present moment. "Hold back the river, let me look in your eyes, hold back the river so I, can stop for a minute be by your side." Stop. Step back, Take a minute. Soak it in. The people you're with, Where you are. Enjoy it, all of it. There's a beauty to the love that surrounds you on a day to day basis. It's a love that we need to stop and really look at. It's the strongest love I know. 

3. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
CLASSIC. Seriously. I know not classic in a "Frank Sinatra" kind of way, but classic in a "I have been listening to this song repeatedly since it was first released and I still am not tired of it." It is such a cute song!!!!!!!!! Seriously! It is so casual, it flows so beautifully and the meaning is so great. It is carefree and not carefree in a bad way, but carefree in a "let's just enjoy life please." My favorite song lyric also comes from this song and it definitely has words to live by. 10/10 Valerie recommend. 

4.  Fathoms Below  - The Little Mermaid
Oh yeah, I did just go hardcore Disney. Bet most people reading this are going "which song is that?" Well let me answer your question. This song is actually the first song to play in the movie. I love it for for many reasons but overall it's so majestic. Seriously. The orchestra behind the song absolutely blows my mind! From the string, to the wind to the percussion instruments. The way all the instruments work together just makes me so happy!!!! 

5. Tenerife Sea - Ed Sheeran 
Y'all, this song is crazy underrated. It's SO beautiful. I'm talking beautiful to the point it makes me wish I was the girl the song was written about. I get butterflies when I listen to it. Not to mention when he sang it live, I got chills (in the September, at an open arena, in Houston, meaning let's process how amazing he is live). I don't know why he got blessed with the talent he has been given, but I thank God he has been able to share it with the world as he has. 

6. Truly, Madly, Deeply - One Direction
Who knew this boyband could have such a heartfelt song apart from Little Things, right? Seriously, another crazy underrated song. It just makes me all mushy. I love it. 

7. I've Just Seen A Face - The Beatles (the version of Across the Universe)
Such a catchy song, such a cute song. It talks about having just seen the face of a girl and she suddenly catches your attention. I guess it follows the lines of "love at first sight" but it's so catchy. It sets vibes for an upbeat day. 

8. Spirits - The Strumbellas
Honestly, I'm just really digging this song right now. It's such a chill song to listen to, especially while studying. 

9. Sweet Louise - The Belle Brigade
It's so SWEET. Seriously, SO. SWEET. Go listen to it. Now. Please. Thank you. 

10. Closer - The Chainsmokers (ft. Halsey) 
Okay last one for this first post. I'm obsessed. It's catchy. I love the chorus. It's great. That's all. 

Now I've procrastinated enough and it's time for me to go to bed! I hope you enjoy what I enjoy, if not then I would love to take suggestions on more music! But for now, I say goodnight. Sleep with the angels, everyone! 

-Val 

No comments:

Post a Comment